Dishwashers have become an essential part of modern-day kitchens.
If you want some rest after a long day and don’t want to bother with the dirty dishes.
You have to do is load the plates, cups, and cutlery into your dishwasher and let it do the tiresome work for you.
A tall tub dishwasher has more internal space than standard-sized models but has the exact exterior dimensions.
They usually hold at least twelve place settings.
The more oversized tub means you have the convenience of washing more dishes in fewer cycles without giving up extra space in your kitchen.
Go through this guide to tall tub dishwashers and find out whether a larger-capacity model is suitable for you.
The standard measurements of a tall tub dishwasher are approximately 35 inches tall, 24 inches wide, and 24 inches deep, excluding handles.
A tall tub dishwasher can fit in the same space as a standard model, even though it has a larger interior from top to bottom.
The additional room permits it to hold pots and dishes in a greater range of sizes and shapes.
These models are designed with extra interior space to hold more utensils, but the exterior size of the appliance is not larger.
However, if you want a wider appliance, some large-size dishwashers come with widths ranging between 30 to 42 inches.
Related Reading: Best Dishwashers Under 700 Dollars – Check Them Out Here.
Dishwasher tubs, irrespective of their size, are typically available in one of two materials: Stainless steel and plastic.
- Stainless Steel: The more expensive but also more durable, stainless steel does not spot or stain, is resistant to hard water, and contains heat better.
- Plastic: the cheaper option, plastic is more common but still pretty durable.
The latest dishwashers are available in more than just the standard white or black finish.
You have a greater range of themes, such as black stainless steel, matte black stainless steel, gray, or maybe a bright color.
The new generation of dishwashers offers many designs for various dishwashing needs.
Customizable or removable racks can be rearranged to load large or unusual-shaped items such as
- Tall stemware
- Sippy cups
- Baby bottles
- Sheets pans
- Tall pots.
The tines can be removed or lowered in most models to allow extra flexibility.
A cutlery basket is a fairly standard feature in tall tub dishwashers.
They sit in the bottom rack, can hold most kitchen tools, and can be moved as necessary.
Stem holders can be added as a further line of protection if you are washing wine glasses.
Some brands offer a third rack in the dishwasher.
The third rack may be used for anything from silverware to an extra set of dishes.
The price range of tall tub dishwashers
The price of tall tub dishwashers ranges from $200 to $1,000.
They are slightly more expensive than the standard models.
Most medium-range tall tub dishwashers cost $500 to $700.
Related Reading: Building Kitchen Island With Sink And Dishwasher – Check Them Out Here
Standard vs. tall tub dishwasher
Standard dishwashers typically hold up to twelve place settings.
They have a kick plate below the door that makes for simpler installation and maintenance.
However, the kick plate occupies valuable space that could be used in washing larger items or more dishes at once.
Standard Dishwasher Pros
- Easier installation/maintenance – Installation and repairs are cheaper than a tall tub model.
The service plate below the door of standard dishwashers makes them easier to repair or install because the working parts can be easily accessed.
- Suitable for small households – If you only use the dishwasher once daily or less, a standard dishwasher will suit you just fine.
There is no need to spend more on a tall tub model.
Standard Dishwasher Cons
- Not so much space – Since they hold fewer place settings, standard dishwashers are not ideal for tall objects such as
- cookie sheets
- wine glasses
- large pans.
You will have to struggle to make large items fit.
- Noisy – Standard dishwashers are louder than tall tub models because the kick plate area allows the sound to escape.
Tall tub dishwasher Pros
- More space – Tall tub dishwashers have four different place settings.
They are also spacious enough to hold large and awkwardly-shaped items that might have to be hand washed otherwise.
- Quieter – Tall tub models tend to be much quieter because of the lack of a kick plate.
The continuous front helps reduce noise.
Tall tub dishwasher Pros
- More expensive – As compared to standard models, tall tub dishwashers have a higher price range.
In most cases, you can estimate a few hundred dollars extra.
- Harder to repair/install – The absence of a kick plate makes it harder to access the dishwasher’s working parts, making these models more difficult and more expensive to install and repair.
Your household size would determine whether you should choose a standard dishwasher or a tall tub dishwasher.
If you want the best deal for your buck, go for a standard dishwasher.
But if you want a machine with ample capacity for a large household, a tall tub dishwasher should be your best bet.
Tall tub dishwasher Benefits
- The large capacity of the bottom rack is ideal for accommodating casserole dishes and baking sheets.
- The exact exterior dimensions as standard models allow for seamless installation in your kitchen.
- Some models come with an adjustable third rack for easily loading mugs, bowls, and other hard-to-fit items.
- You can get the job done with larger loads in fewer cycles.
Related Reading: Some Important Kitchen Design Rules – Learn More Here.
The Bottom Line
A tall tub dishwasher offers you peace of mind by helping you efficiently manage the great workload of washing piles of dirty dishes.
With adjustable second and third racks, you can experience the freedom of more room for hard-to-fit utensils.
These models can handle dishes of any size used during family dinners or holiday meals.
If you are surrounded by a counter full of dishes and want to get the cleaning done in a few cycles.
A tall tub dishwasher can help you take care of the cleanup process smoothly.